Sunday 27 December 2009

News

From my previous post I already told you about me winning a scholarship.Plus,you must know that I refuse to go right.Last time there is no picture.So,I found the picture.That is why I post it back.
well I post it not to show off ok!!! I want to make it here in my blog so that I can see it when I get old later on.It's not like you will be in newspaper everyday right???



35 youths awarded scholarships



(From left) Didi Ooi Sher Mey, Afif Shafie Abd Samad and Kerry Hsu after receiving their Shell scholarship awards.
(From left) Didi Ooi Sher Mey, Afif Shafie Abd Samad and Kerry Hsu after receiving their Shell scholarship awards.

KOTA KINABALU: The interview was gruelling, challenging a chief inspector's son and other scholarship aspirants to think quickly and stand out during a group question-and-answer session.

Afif Shafie Abd Samad, 19, impressed the panel of interviewers, and will soon be heading to Leeds University in Britain to study geology on a scholarship from Shell.

"We were given pages of information, which we had to quickly analyse and later we had to speak in a group interview.

"It was tough and I am so happy that I won this scholarship.

"My parents would not have been able to afford sending me overseas," the eldest of four children said.
Afif's father heads the Tanjung Aru police station, near here, and his mother works as a nurse at a government hospital.

He was among 35 people from Sabah who were awarded scholarships by Shell to pursue tertiary education locally and overseas. In addition, 200 students received bursaries to help them through their secondary education.

Two other recipients, Kerry Hsu, 19, and Didi Ooi Sher Mey, 19, will head for University of Bristol in the UK to study chemistry and geology, respectively.

Although excited at the idea of studying overseas, they did not think that they did well in the interview and were surprised when they received the offer. The trio were met after Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman presented them with their scholarships at Universiti Malaysia Sabah, here on Friday.

Shell Malaysia exploration and production companies managing director Datuk Wee Yiaw Hin said RM3.9 million was allocated for scholarships and bursaries in Sabah this year, out of a total allocation of RM11 million nationwide for education and capacity-building programmes.

No comments: